I’ve always been frustrated with iTunes, for any number of reasons, spending hours trying to get it to do what I want.
So, I avoid it at all costs.
And, I’m not alone. You see comments like this one all over the internet:
“Why won’t iTunes let me add music to my iPhone? How do I manually add songs to my iPhone?”
But, from time to time, I really want to download audio files to my iPhone — like the audio from a YouTube video that I want to listen to outside of YouTube, or a group of audio guided meditations that came with a book I bought.
So, how can I do this, quickly and easily?
In my search, I came upon many ideas, mostly requiring a cable attachment, downloadable software, or just too many steps for my liking. After reviewing many of the options, I chose this one — it’s simple, free, and actually came with bonus features.
All you’ll need is the Documents app by Readdle — available for free via Apple’s App Store.
Here are the quick and easy steps:
- Download the audio files to your computer.
- Install and open the Document App by Readdle.
- Tap the big blue “+” (Import) button.
- Choose “Connect to Computer” (you’ll need to be on the same wi-fi network)
- On your computer, go to docstransfer.com (per the instructions in the app), and enter the 4-digit code provided by the app.
- Click on “Upload Files”
- Choose any files or a folder, using the standard File Explorer, and click on “Open”.
- That’s it — your files will automatically upload to your iPhone.
- Tap on Disconnect in the app.
To play an audio file (or open a photo or PDF, etc.), just tap on the file name, and the Documents app will launch the appropriate player. The audio player has all the standard features — playlists, loop and shuffle, playback speed control, etc.
Here’s the bonus:
The Documents app is much more than an audio player. It’s a full featured file manager, that lets you watch movies, edit PDFs, read ePUBs, view and mark up photos, and more. Just download and run.
Super simple — I wish I had discovered this years ago.